“Taxpayers should know why the state settled this case for nearly $5 million,” Mr. Johnson said.
Ms. Totten did not respond to emails or phone calls on Sunday.
Kara Richardson, a spokeswoman for the Georgia attorney general’s office, confirmed the settlement on Sunday but did not comment further. Keith Barber, Mr. Thompson’s lawyer, declined to comment on Sunday.
Days after the shooting, Mr. Thompson was fired and charged with felony murder and aggravated assault. In June last year, a grand jury declined to indict him.
Lindsay Milton, Mr. Lewis’s mother, implied at the time that race was a factor in the grand jury’s decision, saying, “They’re going to let this young man go free ’cause my child was a Black man.”
To call attention to Mr. Lewis’s case, his son, Brook Bacon, led a 63-mile march for justice in September from Sylvania, Ga., near where Mr. Lewis was pulled over, to the office of the U.S. attorney for the Southern District of Georgia in Savannah, Mr. Johnson said.
Mr. Bacon said in a statement, “We will not rest until his killer is behind bars.”
The U.S. attorney’s office said in September that it was “in consultation” with the F.B.I. about the circumstances of Mr. Lewis’s death.
Jenna Sellitto, a spokeswoman for the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s field office in Atlanta, declined to comment on Sunday. Barry L. Paschal, a spokesman for the U.S. attorney’s office for the Southern District of Georgia, also declined to comment but said that the investigation was continuing.