Alexander Zverev says he welcomes ATP’s decision to launch an independent investigation into allegations of abusing girlfriend Oriya Shalipova at the Shanghai Masters in 2019.
Shalipova made a concrete claim to Zverev, the fourth in the world, in an interview in August this year, when the Germans grabbed her with her throat and pressed her against the bathroom wall, then beat her and wanted to attempt suicide. Shouted.
Zverev repeatedly and violently denied the claim.
“I have always fully supported the development of ATP domestic violence policy,” Zverev said on Monday.
“In addition, I welcomed ATP’s investigation into this issue and asked ATP to begin an independent investigation for several months.
“As I said earlier, I categorically and explicitly deny any of these claims.”
ATPCEO Massimo Calvelli said:
“We hope that our research will enable us to confirm the facts and determine appropriate follow-up activities.
“I understand that Zverev welcomes our investigation and admits that he has denied all claims.
“We will also monitor further legal progress following the provisional injunction Zverev obtained in a German court.”
The ATP move is to “ensure that all adults and minors involved in professional tennis are safe and protected from abuse” after an independent review of the protection policy commissioned earlier this year. It was done.
ATP, which is in charge of men’s professional tennis tours but not in Grand Slam tournaments such as Wimbledon, said it would appreciate the recommendations of an organization led by former Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department Chief Inspector Chris Smart. Above all, views on developing action policies, including domestic violence.
“As an organization, we recognize that we need to do more to ensure that everyone involved in professional tennis feels safe and protected,” Calvelli said. I added.
“The recommendations in the Safeguard Report help us tackle this firmly. We promise to take a meaningful step and know that this is not an overnight process.”
Both moves have come after a great deal of player pressure to investigate Zverev’s claims and create a framework to handle future incidents more quickly and, if possible, prevent them from happening at all.
Former world No. 1 Andy Murray, who sits on behalf of ATP’s player council with Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal, wanted the organization to take action.
“I don’t think it was great for the tour. I don’t think it’s great for Zverev, because unless you deal with it head-on, it’s only protracted … questions will continue to be asked,” Murray said last month. Said.
“I talked about it in Wimbledon, and now here, what is it, three months later, and I’m still being asked about it.
“Obviously it hasn’t been dealt with properly, and players will continue to be asked about it until it happens.
“It’s difficult, but certainly it’s been going on for too long … it obviously needs to be resolved.”
Follow iSports on Facebook for tennis news, interviews and feature details, Or listen I love tennis podcasts Offer is MeJames Gray wherever iTunes, Spotify, or podcasts are available