The government announced on October 21st the Regional Connection Scheme (RCS) – UDAN (RCS) with the aim of connecting small towns by air route and giving the typical common people or “aam admi” the opportunity to travel by air. Ude Desh Ka Aam Nagrik) was announced. 2016.
Under that, 100 new airports will be developed between 2019 and 2024, as well as heliports and seaplanes to support the UDAN scheme. In addition to this, 780 valid routes were assigned to the final candidate airline after four rounds of bidding.
Indian airport authorities will allocate a total of approximately 25,000 rupees over the five years from 2019 to 2024, during which 100 new airports, heliports and water dromes will be operational.
However, according to official sources, only 359 of the 780 valid routes are currently operational.
According to the latest airport information, nine airports were developed in the 2019-20 fiscal year, but by the third quarter of 2020-21 (that is, December 2020), 14 airports had been developed. It will be developed during that fiscal year.
Twenty airports will be developed in the current fiscal year (2021-22) and 2022-23, respectively, and 25 airports will be developed in 2023-24.
Therefore, according to information provided by the Ministry of Civil Aviation itself, until December 2020, only 23 airports were developed under the UDAN scheme, even during their tenure.
As far as the parameters adopted to identify the airport under the UDAN scheme are concerned, the Ministry of Civil Aviation is market-driven where interested airlines submit proposals at that time based on an assessment of demand for a particular route. Of the bid that states that it is a scheme.
Airports included in the RCS-UDAN award route that need to be upgraded or developed to start operating RCS will be developed under the “Resurrection of Unserviced and Underserved Airports” scheme. Will be done.
The UDAN scheme is covered by a tax of 50 rupees on tickets on major routes. The levy accounts for 80% of the feasibility gap funding provided to airlines, with the remaining 20% provided by the state government.