Last year, former junior player Olga Shalipova accused Alexander Zverev of physical and psychological abuse.© Instagram
The chief of the tennis tour said Monday that he had begun investigating allegations of domestic violence against Olympic champion Alexander Zverev by his former girlfriend. Last year, former junior player Olga Shalipova blamed Germany’s fourth-largest physical and psychological abuse in the world, and Zverev rejected the claim. Details of her allegations were published in an article in the online magazine Slate in August, and 24-year-old Zverev issued a statement that he “resolutely and clearly” denied Shalipova’s abuse. He has also begun legal proceedings.
One of the allegations is the 2019 Shanghai Masters attack.
ATP, the governing body of the Men’s Professional Tennis Circuit, said it has begun an investigation.
“Internal investigation of Alexander Zverev’s allegations at the ATP Masters 1000 event in Shanghai in 2019 is currently underway,” ATP said in a statement.
“ATP fully condemns all forms of violence and abuse and investigates such allegations related to conduct in ATP member tournaments.”
ATPCEO Massimo Calveri said: “The allegations filed against Alexander Zverev are serious and we are responsible for addressing them.
“We hope that our investigation will enable us to prove the facts and determine appropriate follow-up actions. Zverev welcomed our investigation and he denied all claims. I admit.
“We will also monitor further legal progress following Zverev’s provisional injunction in a German court.”
ATP does not currently have a policy of domestic violence comparable to that practiced in some sports leagues, but said on Monday that an independent report on protection, including some recommendations, was completed. Announced.
It said it would study the report and develop protection strategies related to all issues of abuse, including domestic violence.
Topics mentioned in this article