How to delete an Instagram account: Making an Instagram account is easy and enjoyable to look at pictures and videos on the feed. But have you ever considered getting rid of your Instagram account forever or taking a break from it? Well, doing that can be a bit challenging.
So, we’ve put together a detailed guide with steps to help you delete an Instagram account. This guide will show you how to either delete your Instagram account for good or temporarily deactivate it.
When is it a good idea to deactivate your Instagram account? If you want to take a short break and not delete your Instagram profile forever, you can use the deactivate feature. This way, you won’t lose your followers and the things you’ve posted.
However, before you decide to delete your account, it’s important to save all your Instagram stuff, like pictures, videos, and reels. This will make sure you have copies of everything in case you change your mind or want to use a different platform later on.
- How to delete an Instagram account permanently
- How to download your Instagram pictures and videos?
- How to deactivate Instagram account temporarily?
How to delete an Instagram account permanently
When you permanently delete your Instagram account, everything you have on the app, like your profile, pictures, videos, and comments, will be completely gone. This also means you’ll lose your followers, and once you go through with it, you can’t get your account back.
Interestingly, Instagram, which is owned by Meta, doesn’t have a straightforward way to delete your account from the app itself. Instead, they’ve hidden this option in the Help Center page. It’s a bit puzzling why they’ve done this. To delete your account, you’ll have to scroll down on that page and find the option. Let me guide you through the steps to permanently delete your Instagram account.
- Simply, go to “Delete your account page” on a mobile or PC browser.
- The page will ask you to log in on the browser if aren’t already logged in.
- It will ask you to select a reason from the drop-down menu why you want to delete your Instagram account. Also, it will provide some solutions for you if pick any of the concerns. Pick any of the reasons.
- Re-enter the password to go forward.
- Click on the button “Delete [username]” to permanently delete the Instagram account.
Facebook-owned social media platform takes 30 days to process the Instagram account deletion request offering a period if you change your mind. For this period, your profile won’t be visible to others but you can still access it.
How to download your Instagram pictures and videos?
Instagram offers a user-friendly option for downloading a copy of your profile information, ensuring that your cherished images and videos remain safe. Upon request, the platform promptly sends all the relevant details to your registered email, providing a reliable backup for your content.
How to download Instagram data through the mobile app
- Open the Instagram app and head to the profile page.
- Click on the three-line option in the right upper corner to open a menu.
- Click on the “Your Activity” option.
- Scroll down and tap on the “Download Your Information” option.
- You will be asked to provide an email ID if you haven’t already linked one. Click on the “Request Download” button.
- Enter your Instagram password and follow the instructions to download the data.
How to download Instagram data through the web browser on a PC
- Open Instagram.com on a PC browser.
- Tap on your profile image to go to the profile page.
- Click on the “Settings” icon to open the menu.
- Head to the “Privacy and security” option.
- Scroll down to find “Data Download” and tap on the “Request Download” option.
- Provide a valid email address and choose the format you want to get your data from two options – HTML or JSON.
- Enter your Instagram account password and tap on the “Request Download” button to submit the request.
How to deactivate Instagram account temporarily?
Do you know that Instagram lets you temporarily disable your account for any period of time of your own choice? Yes, Facebook subsidiary gives you the freedom to remove the account from Instagram such that no one could see your profile on the platform. This feature hides your photos, videos, likes, and comments from social media. Though, you can temporarily deactivate and reactivate your Instagram account only through a web browser either on a PC or a mobile.
Follow the below instructions to temporarily disable an Instagram account:
- Sign in to Instagram on a mobile or computer browser.
- Click on the profile image and tap on the “Settings” option.
- It will open the “Edit profile” page. Scroll to the bottom to find the “Temporarily deactivate my account” option. Click on it.
- It will ask you to select a reason why you want to disable your Instagram account. Pick of the provided options.
- Enter your password and hit “Temporarily Deactivate Account” to disable the profile.
If you want to reactivate your disabled Instagram account, all you have to do is just login back into the platform at any time in future.
Deactivate Instagram account and Delete Instagram account are the same thing?
No, both are completely different things. Deactivating the account means you can resume the access anytime but deleting the account means once 30 days are over, you can’t access the same account instead you have to make a new Instagram account.
What happens to Instagram data after account deletion?
How to delete an Instagram account without a password?
It is not possible to delete or deactivate an Instagram account without providing a valid password. In case, if you have forgotten your password you should first reset it to proceed.
Do I need to delete an Instagram account if my profile has been hacked?
No, it is not necessary to permanently delete the account. Rather you can change your password and activate two-factor authentication for better security.