Are you ready? Apple intends to launch the latest iPhone system, known as iOS 17, today for all compatible iPhones.
Your iPhone will take care of most of the iOS 17 update tasks, but there are a few things you can do to get ready before installing the new iOS version. Continue reading for a simple guide on how to install iOS 17 on your iPhone.
To learn more about the new iPhone operating system, take a look at our iOS 17 review and explore some of its exciting features.
iOS 17 Compatibility: Is Your iPhone Eligible?
Not all iPhones can get the new iOS 17 update. You should have an iPhone that’s as recent as the iPhone XR or XS, which came out in 2018.
The iPhone XR, XS, and XS Max, as well as the iPhone 11, iPhone SE (second generation and newer), iPhone 12, iPhone 13, and iPhone 14, will all be compatible with iOS 17. The brand-new iPhone 15, available for pre-order now and in stores on September 22, will come with iOS 17 already installed.
Back Up Your iPhone Before Switching to iOS 17
Exploring all the new stuff in iOS 17 can be exciting, but it’s smart to take some simple steps before switching to the new system. This helps keep your personal info and phone stuff safe. One important thing to do is to make a copy of your iPhone’s stuff before you make the change. This copy can also be handy if you want to go back to the old iOS 16 later.
Normally, your iPhone automatically makes copies of your stuff when you’re not using it and it’s plugged in and connected to Wi-Fi. But if this doesn’t happen automatically, you can do it yourself. Just go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > iCloud Backup, and tap “Back Up Now.”
If you use a Mac computer, you can also copy your iPhone using Finder. Just connect your iPhone to your computer, open Finder, choose your device, and make a backup. Apple even suggests saving your backup separately so it doesn’t get mixed up with other backups.
Steps for a Smooth iOS 17 Download and Installation
To ensure a smooth download and installation process, follow these steps:
- Keep Your iPhone Charged: Before you start, make sure your iPhone is plugged into a power source. You can’t download iOS 17 if your battery is below 50%, so it’s best to have your phone charging during the update. Even when it’s plugged in, ensure the battery level is above 20% for the installation to proceed.
- Connect to Wi-Fi: You can’t download iOS 17 using your mobile data, so connect to a reliable Wi-Fi network before you begin the installation.
- Free Up Storage Space: iOS 17 is a large file, taking up several gigabytes of space. If you’re running low on storage, you’ll need to make some room before downloading and installing it. Go to Settings > General > iPhone Storage to delete large files and apps.
Check out these simple tricks to optimize your iPhone’s storage and create more free space.
How to Download and Install iOS 17 on Your iPhone
Once you’ve done all the preparations, you’ll be all set to download and install iOS 17. When the official release of iOS 17 is available, follow these steps on your iPhone:
- Open your iPhone and go to Settings > General > Software Update.
- Wait for a few seconds (or minutes) until the update appears. Then, tap Install Now if you want to install iOS 17 immediately. If you prefer to install it later, tap Install Tonight.
- If you see an option for iOS 16.6 instead, tap the Upgrade to iOS 17 button at the bottom of the page. Then, tap Download and Install for iOS 17. You’ll need to enter your passcode to start the update.
- Once you’ve initiated the update, you’ll see a loading bar and an estimate of how long the download will take.
- After the download finishes, restart your iPhone and wait for iOS 17 to install. When your iPhone starts up again, follow any on-screen instructions, and you should see iOS 17 installed on your device.
iOS 17 Release Date and Time for iPhone Users
During Apple’s “Wonderlust” event on September 12, they announced that iOS 17 would become available for all compatible iPhones today, on Monday, September 18.
Apple typically releases significant iOS updates at 10 a.m. PT. This means that most iPhone users in the US can expect to access iOS 17 in the late morning or early afternoon today. Here’s a breakdown of when iPhone users in different time zones might see iOS 17:
- Hawaii: 7 a.m.
- Alaska: 9 a.m.
- Pacific Time: 10 a.m.
- Mountain Time: 11 a.m.
- Central Time: 12 p.m.
- Eastern Time: 1 p.m.
- British Summer Time: 6 p.m.
- Australian Eastern Standard Time: 3 a.m. on Tuesday, September 19.
If you want to learn more about the new operating system, you can explore all the best new features in iOS 17 and discover some of the hidden features that you might not be aware of yet.