Fort Meade, Maryland — A new judge presided over the September 11, 2001 case in Guantanamo Bay will begin trials of five men accused of attempting an attack on Monday for at least another year. Said not.
Judge Colonel Matthew N. McCall, who took over the case last month, is a pandemic at the US Naval Base in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
A timeline set by a judge on Monday shows five men, including Khalid Sheikhmohammed, the mastermind of the plot, more than 21 years after the hijacked Jetliner crashed into the World Trade Twin Towers. Means that the trial will not begin at the Center, Department of Defense, Shanksville, Pennsylvania Field.
Colonel McCall had ruled an objection to two defendant lawyers, Walid bin Attache and Ramzi bin al-Shib. The lawyer questioned his eligibility to preside over the death sentence because he had not read the filings and court records dating back to the May 2012 defendant’s prosecution, including a 33,660-page written record.
They urged him to suspend the procedure until he was properly trained and fully familiar with the decisions of the three judges prior to the case.
The judge replied that he had ample time and plans to speed up, including taking a course at the National Judiciary University on how to handle capital cases. He said he would use it online because of the pandemic.
“At least we’re at least a year away from the trial,” said Air Force Colonel McCall. He has declared that he is entitled to military commission regulations, Air Force prohibitions, and ethical obligations and is “not bound by a particular timeline to be tried.”
Colonel McCall presides over the Guantanamo Court in a plot against Mohammed and four other men accused of supporting a hijacking program that killed nearly 3,000 people in New York, Pennsylvania, and the Pentagon 20 years ago. This is the fourth judge. ..
After being a military judge for only two years, he was recently promoted to colonel and became the youngest and most inexperienced judge to oversee the case.
Bin Atash’s lawyer, Cheryl Bormann, last week requested that the proceedings be suspended until the judges completed the course, complete with the decisions of the previous three judges as a baseline to move forward. Familiar with.
Instead, the judge said he had planned to learn as he progressed, including holding separate meetings with individual defense teams and prosecutors so that he could be included in the submission of sensitive information. Since this is a national security case, the prosecution’s decision on which evidence can be provided to the defense counsel and which information to withhold or edit will be detrimental to the defense in court. It’s up to you to make sure it’s not there.
A former judge had set a schedule for the trial to begin in January of this year. But that plan has been shelved for a long time. At least, based on the judge’s comments, the jury selection will not begin until the end of the 21st anniversary of the attack.