People living in Northern Ireland will soon receive free retail therapy through a new voucher scheme.
Designed to kickstart the high streets, many are looking forward to a treat to end the summer – here’s everything you need to know about it.
What is the Northern Ireland Voucher Scheme?
Everyone over the age of 18 in Northern Ireland is eligible to apply for a £ 100 prepaid card for use on local High Street through the High Street Stimulus (HSS).
Former Economic Minister Diane Dodds said when it was announced: Eligible applicants will be provided with a prepaid card worth £ 100.
“This means that up to 1.4 million people will spend an additional £ 140m on high streets rather than online. This has a multiplier effect and doors to local retail, hospitality and other sectors. Helps bring back more customers from.
“We have commissioned an investigation into when HSS is most beneficial to our economic recovery. Deregulation is expected to stall demand. Therefore, late summer will bring about this increase in spending. We believe it is the right time for us. “
When does it begin?
The voucher system was scheduled to start after Sunday, September 12, but the exact date has not yet been revealed.
Belfast Telegraph, However, I reported that the start date is not this week.
“The Ministry of Education is currently finalizing the plan, and the Minister will announce details, including the start date of registration, in the near future,” said a DfE spokesman.
However, there is an expiration date and you must use your voucher money by November 30th prior to the Christmas rush.
How can I apply?
You cannot apply until the online portal opens, but when you do, you need to do the following:
- Register for the High Street Scheme online at NI Direct.
- You will need to enter your name, address, DOB, gender, disability, NI number, driver’s license number (optional), mobile phone number, and email address.
- You can complete the application on behalf of some other people, but the number is limited and you need to have their permission and details.
- You will then receive an email confirming receipt of your application. This email is collated with the Electoral Roll database and the Driver’s License Agency. This is an automated process and you do not have access to your personal information.
- Once your identity verification is complete, the details required to complete the process will be sent to your prepaid card provider, and you will receive an email notifying you when the registration process is complete and when you plan to receive your card.
- If you fail in the first phase of the check, your identity will be checked against a further suite of government databases. Once your identity is verified, your details will be forwarded to your prepaid card provider and you will receive a confirmation email. If the application fails, you will be notified and forwarded to the appeal process.
Where can I use it?
This card can be used in any business that accepts credit or debt cards on both pin and swipe terminals.
Before using it, you need to check it by SMS, phone or computer. You can buy items over the phone, but you can’t use them online.
It also cannot be used to purchase financial or legal services.