Billionaire and former real estate mogul Robert A. Durst, 78, tested positive on Covid-19 days after being sentenced to life imprisonment for killing his best friend in 2000. Later, I am using a respirator at a hospital in Los Angeles.
“We were informed that he had been tested positive for Covid,” his lawyer, Dick DeGuerin, said Saturday.
According to a Los Angeles County Sheriff’s prisoner locator, Mr. Durst was admitted to the LAC + USC Medical Center on Friday night. The district attorney’s office said it could not comment because of the medical privacy law.
At a hearing of the ruling on Thursday, Mr. Durst was sitting in a wheelchair. He wore a brown prison jumper and mask. From time to time, his breathing seemed to be suffering. He lowered the mask, but after a while he raised it again.
“His health has deteriorated over the weeks of the trial,” Degrin said. “On Thursday, he seemed to have warmed up his death.”
Mr. Dust was frail and had many health problems, but was wary during a four-month trial that ended on September 17, when he was convicted of one murder. Mr. Durst, whose life story influenced Hollywood films and HBO documentaries, is not eligible for parole.
A jury who convicted him in Los Angeles found that the prosecution proved a special situation. In short, Durst is the news media after the disappearance of journalist and screen writer Susan Berman in 1982 after her first wife, Kathy McCormack Durst.
Mr. Dust faces the possibility of being charged with murder in New York in connection with the disappearance of Kathy Dust. Miriam E. Roca, a district attorney in Westchester County, New York, resumed the investigation earlier this year and planned to place a large number of witnesses in front of the grand jury.
Mr. Dust admitted to the filmmaker that his marriage had a series of “half discussions, fights, slaps, pushes” and “wrestling” before Mr. Dust disappeared. Claimed not to kill.