NBC 5 Responds recommends parents remove them from their homes after the Consumer Product Safety Commission recalls small toy magnets again and more and more children ingest them and require urgent treatment. I learned that.
Witten Williams and his twin brother Walker, 4, support the family on their toes. However, a fun day of play turned the family over.
“I just looked around and saw him have something shiny on his lips,” explained Amber Williams, the boy’s mother. “He said,’Mom, I accidentally ate them.’ And I said,’What did you eat?’ And he showed me two of these little silver balls. I did. And I was like, “Oh no, these are magnets!” “
Witten was fine, so the family decided to wait 24 hours to see if the magnets would pass naturally. When they didn’t, their pediatrician sent them to the emergency room.
“They could see them on an x-ray scan, but couldn’t tell us exactly where they were,” Williams said.
The next morning, the doctor ordered a colonoscopy, but couldn’t find the magnet.
“They went as far as they could with that camera, and they couldn’t find anything,” Williams said.
“When three doctors bring you out of the waiting room, it’s not, it’s never good news,” said Witten’s father, Jonny Williams. “It’s when it really started to sink for me.”
Laparoscopy of Witten’s gut revealed that the magnet was pointing towards his appendix. The doctor performed surgery to remove it.
“It happened that I was stuck in a place that was an organ he didn’t need, so that was really the best scenario,” Amber Williams said.
Dr. David Troendle was one of Witten’s doctors at the Dallas Children’s Medical Center. He said more and more children, and even teenagers, swallowed magnets.
“You’ll probably see one or two cases a month, which is very scary,” Troendle said. “They are 10 times stronger than traditional magnets … they are very, very small.”
According to Troendle, the size of the magnet is one-eighth inch, but it can hold more than 1,000 times its weight.
In 2014, after hundreds of children were injured and hospitalized, CPSC considered toy magnets and games made of rare earth elements as a safety risk and removed them from the market.
In the immediately following years, magnet intake decreased by nearly 80%. However, in 2016, the court overturned the decision and allowed the toys to be returned to the market.
New data from the American Association of Poison Control Centers show that magnet intake surged by more than 530% between 2017 and 2020.
US Open case
Earlier this year, a Florida boy was hospitalized after swallowing 16 magnetic balls. A toddler in South Bend, Indiana swallowed 19 magnets. And in 2020, a New Jersey boy underwent surgery after eating a set of magnet balls he received as a birthday present.
“Dangers aren’t always recognizable to parents, so they don’t even think this is dangerous. They think it’s really cool and fun,” said Kidsin Danger’s Nancy Cowl. Z said.
Cowles runs a non-profit organization and has been tracking this issue for years.
“We believe this should really be removed from the market, as the risk is far greater than any of the benefits of the product,” says Cowles.
Just last month, the CPSC issued a forced recall of 10 million magnets due to the risk of ingestion and the risk of death.
“I’m glad they took positive action on this. But, as I said, there are still many other companies that sell these products. A major US company. Most sellers no longer do it, but when you go online, you’ll find that it’s still everywhere, so there’s still a lot to do, “Cowls said.
“It was three steps. It was a big deal for a little guy,” said Amber Williams.
The Williams family filed a complaint with the CPSC and informed them of Witten’s case. They didn’t know which brand of magnets he swallowed, but said they were grateful that they didn’t do any more damage.
There are several brands of toy magnets on the market. The CPSC requires that it not be sold to children under the age of 14. If the house has children and they have children, experts said they should be removed immediately.