Two “prominent” Islamic State militants were killed in a retaliatory airstrike in the mountainous areas of Afghanistan after dozens of people were killed in a suicide bombing at Kabul Airport, U.S. military officials said. ..
A retaliatory attack, officials said injured another militant, stopped the clock before the August 31 deadline for President Biden to withdraw U.S. troops from Afghanistan, bringing the turbulent end to the 20-year war. Sometimes happened. The Pentagon updated information on Saturday’s retaliation attack, stating that a second militant group had been killed.
At Kabul Airport, there were signs that evacuation efforts were steadily slowing on Saturday.
The road leading to the airport was closed, and in the aftermath of the suicide bombing on Thursday, the large crowd that had recently been tense to push in disappeared. Most gates were closed on Saturday and most people weren’t through.
Hundreds of thousands of Afghans are believed to be seeking an escape from the country for fear of Taliban rule, but Biden and other global leaders say many will not leave by the deadline. Admits.
At the airport’s South Gate, which remained open on Saturday, the number of buses carrying hundreds of people increased, and meticulous screening of explosives slowed processing.
When the suicide bomber exploded on Thursday, US troops screened Afghans at Abbey Gate, killing 13 US troops and 170 others. This is one of the most deadly attacks since the beginning of the US-led aggression. Abbey Gate was almost closed on Saturday.
US troops said Friday they had launched a retaliatory airstrike in Nangarhar, east of Kabul.
U.S. Central Command spokesman Captain Bill Urban said in a statement that the airstrikes targeted the “ISIS-K Planner.” He referred to an Islamic State affiliate in Afghanistan, also known as Islamic State Khorasan, which claims responsibility for the airport attack.
“The first sign is that we killed the target,” said Captain Urban. “We do not know civilian casualties.”
An assistant to Taliban spokesman Zabifra Mujahid said on Saturday in response to the US airstrikes: “I’ve heard reports of the Nangarhar case, but I’m trying to find out the type of case and the victims. I’ll respond after the investigation.”
The evacuation of British citizens ended on Saturday and the country began taking the rest of the troops home, General Nick Carter, chief of defense staff, told the BBC’s Radio 4. French officials said France has also completed its evacuation. On Friday.
Due to continued security threats, US authorities have again warned Americans to leave the airport area. White House spokesman Jen Psaki said Friday that “there is a high probability of another terrorist attack in Kabul,” US officials believe. “The threat is ongoing and active. Our army is still at risk.”
The White House said Saturday morning that a total of 6,800 people had been evacuated in the last 24 hours. This is down from this week’s average, down sharply from the peak of over 20,000.
Evacuation of civilians on charter planes has been suspended since the attack. Private security companies and aid groups tell Afghans to stay in safe homes and avoid the airport as they plan to move to charter bus evacuation over land crossing the border with Pakistan. rice field.
At Kabul Airport on Saturday, two brothers said they had traveled from Herat to Kabul for 26 hours. After spending the night at the guesthouse, they managed to slip through the perimeter guards and reach the monastery gate with their families.
Mahdi was selected in a US visa lottery and said he was waiting for a visa interview when his family heard that the evacuation process was underway.
They knew of a suicide bombing at the airport on Thursday — “But what can we do?” Said Hassan, 23. “This is our only way.”