The pharmaceutical industry is made up of companies that research, develop, manufacture, and sell drugs and treatments used to treat and eradicate diseases and immunize people. This includes the largest and most well-known companies in the world, including Pfizer (PFE), Merck (MRK) and AbbVie (ABBV). Many pharmaceutical companies, including Pfizer, saw a surge in sales after receiving approval from the US and foreign governments for vaccines aimed at preventing the COVID-19 virus.
For the past 12 months, pharmaceutical stocks under the iShares US Pharmaceuticals ETF (IHE) have lagging behind the overall market performance. IHE’s total revenue was 19.3% during the period, while Russell 1000’s total revenue was 37.1%. These market performance figures and all statistics in the table below are current as of September 10, 2021.
Here are the top three drug stocks with the highest value, the fastest growth, and the most momentum.
These are the pharmaceutical stocks with the lowest price-earnings ratio (P / E) for 12 months. A low rate of return on stock prices indicates that you pay less for every dollar you make, as profits can be returned to shareholders in the form of dividends or repurchases.
|Highest value pharmaceutical stock|
|Price ($)||Market capitalization ($ B)||12-month trailing price-earnings ratio|
|Ironwood Pharmaceuticals Inc. (IRWD)||12.20||2.0||3.9|
|Organon & Co. (OGN)||33.88||8.6||4.1|
|Collegium Pharmaceutical Inc. (COLL)||19.70||0.7||7.2|
Source: Y Charts
- Ironwood Pharmaceuticals Inc. : Ironwood Pharmaceuticals develops and manufactures medicines used in the treatment of gastrointestinal and cardiovascular diseases.
- Organon & Co. : Organon is a global women’s healthcare company that develops and manufactures pharmaceuticals and other products in a variety of areas, including reproductive health, heart disease, dermatology, allergies and asthma. In mid-June, the company announced that it had completed the acquisition of Alydia Health, a commercial medical device company specializing in the prevention of morbidity and mortality in pregnant women due to postpartum bleeding and abnormal postpartum bleeding. Organon first agreed to acquire Alydia Health for $ 240 million in March 2021.
- Collegium Pharmaceutical Inc. : Collegium Pharmaceutical is a pharmaceutical company specializing in pain management. We are developing drugs to treat acute and chronic pain. In mid-August, the company announced that its board of directors had approved a buyback of up to $ 100 million in its common stock. Management decides when and how much to repurchase shares.
These are top ranked by growth models, scoring companies based on a 50/50 weighting of year-over-year rate of return growth in the most recent quarter and earnings per share (EPS) growth in the most recent quarter. It is a pharmaceutical stock of. Both sales and revenue are key factors in a company’s success. Therefore, ranking a company by only one growth indicator can make it more vulnerable to accounting anomalies (such as tax law changes and restructuring costs) for the quarter, and one of the numbers can be non-representative to the business. There is sex. Companies with quarterly EPS or revenue growth of more than 2,500% were excluded as outliers.
|Fast-growing pharmaceutical stocks|
|Price ($)||Market capitalization ($ B)||EPS growth rate (%)||Revenue growth (%)|
|Ironwood Pharmaceuticals Inc. (IRWD)||12.20||2.0||1,390||16.3|
|Dynavax Technologies Corp. (DVAX)||17.55||2.0||Not applicable (see company description)||1,880|
|BioDelivery Sciences International Inc. (BDSI)||4.28||0.4||800.0||13.3|
Source: Y Charts
- Ironwood Pharmaceuticals Inc. : See above for company description.
- Dynavax Technologies Corp. : Dynavax Technologies is a biopharmacy company specializing in the development of immunotherapeutic treatments. We are developing and commercializing new vaccines, and are developing vaccines to treat COVID-19 in collaboration with other biopharmacy companies. Valneva SE (VLA), a French-based biotechnology company working on COVID-19 vaccine using Dynavax’s CpG1018 as an adjuvant, recently announced the termination from the UK regarding the supply contract for Valneva’s COVID-19 vaccine candidate. I received. Despite the termination, Valneva said he would continue to work on vaccine candidates. Dynavax states that the current CpG 1018 supply contract will account for approximately $ 300- $ 400 million in revenue opportunities in 2021. The company’s EPS turned positive in the most recent quarter from negative in the same period last year, so the above table could not calculate the growth rate of EPS.
- BioDelivery Sciences International Inc. : BioDelivery Sciences International is a pharmaceutical company that specializes in innovative treatments for patients with severe and debilitating chronic illnesses such as chronic pain and acute migraine. The company recently announced that it has completed the acquisition of US and Canadian rights to ELYXY B, the only FDA-approved, ready-to-use oral solution for the acute treatment of adult migraine. The seller was Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd. (DRREDDY). First announced in early August 2021, the deal totaled $ 15 million.
These are the drug stocks with the highest total returns in the last 12 months.
|The most vigorous pharmaceutical stocks|
|Price ($)||Market capitalization ($ M)||12-month trailing total return (%)|
|MariMed Inc. (MRMD)||1.00||327.5||521.9|
|22nd Century Group Inc. (XXII)||3.23||525.6||442.8|
|Zomedica Corp. (ZOM)||0.60||583.6||440.6|
|Russell 1000||Not applicable||Not applicable||37.1|
|iShares US Pharmaceuticals ETF (IHE)||Not applicable||Not applicable||19.3|
Source: Y Charts
- MariMed Inc. : MariMed is a cannabis and hemp company. It offers a full range of cannabis products, including branded products for the treatment of certain medical conditions. The company operates cannabis facilities and pharmacies in several states.
- 22nd Century Group Inc. : 22nd Century Group is a plant biotechnology company. Use genetic engineering and plant breeding to modify the nicotine content of tobacco plants and the cannabinoids of cannabis plants.
- Zomedica Corp. : Zomedica is a veterinary health company. We are working on the development of a point-of-care diagnostic platform based on technology designed to detect pathogens in companion animals.
The comments, opinions and analyzes contained in this document are for informational purposes only and should not be considered as individual investment advice or recommendations regarding investing in securities or adopting investment strategies. We believe that the information provided here is reliable, but we do not guarantee its accuracy or completeness. The views and strategies contained in our content may not be suitable for all investors. Due to the rapid changes in market and economic conditions, all comments, opinions and analyzes contained in our content are current as of the date of posting and are subject to change without notice. This material is not intended to be a complete analysis of all important facts about a country, region, market, industry, investment, or strategy.
Investopedia requires writers to use primary sources to support their work. These include white papers, government data, original reports, and interviews with industry experts. Also, if necessary, refer to original studies from other reputable publishers.Learn more about the standards we follow to create accurate and fair content