“We are vulnerable and honest in this, and we fully understand that Robert and I are not experts in this area, but people’s experiences, people’s opinions, and people are leaders. I want to know more about what I’m looking for from, their employers, and the insurance industry. That’s the point of view we’re starting this journey, “Guy said.
Charles Taylor has embarked on a global initiative with a five-year plan to improve DE & I across the organization. The Loss Adjustment Giants provide what Guy describes as a “massive resource” via the intranet, explaining the philosophy behind DE & I, Charles Taylor’s mission, and how to tackle unconscious prejudice and impostor syndrome. Provides education on topics such as. In addition, the company encourages all leaders to practice active alliances, provides employee feedback and gives them regular opportunities to shape the future of the organization.
Read next: Dive into 2021: Shape the future of the insurance industry
“In Canada, we want to align with the same five-year plan that Charles Taylor has globally,” Guy said. Insurance business. “The underlying purpose is to reach out to all members of our staff, which requires this element of listening, engaging, understanding, supporting and cooperating. do.
“If I was the one to come up with and build a universal strategy for DE & I in Canada, I would select the checkbox after 10 steps. I think this is ridiculous on my part. The journey is over. There should be no end. DE & I will continue to grow and expand as the needs of our staff come to the fore and the needs of our group evolve. We provide our staff with the best resources and inclusiveness. I really want to create a DE & I committee that will help. “
Guy wants to set up a “constant feedback loop” that allows Charles Taylor employees in Canada to influence the direction the company takes with respect to DE & I. Loss adjusters conduct an annual employee engagement survey. In the latest iteration, 74% of Charles Taylor employees believe that the leadership team encourages and supports DE & I, and 83% of staff report that they feel they are accustomed to their work. I am.
“There are two ways to see it,” Guy said. “74% (74%) is a very solid number, but 26% don’t feel that way. That means they’re thinking the opposite when it comes to DE & I. Who we permeate and who If you’re trying to make people feel like they have their own voice and everyone wants to feel that they belong to our corporate culture, then 74% continue to be involved and what The other 26% we need to do to understand what’s happening is missing. Again, 83% is a great number, but still 17% staff Are worried about being themselves. These statistics need to be worked together. These numbers should be 100% or as close as possible.
read more: DE & I is all about “bringing humanity to the workplace”
“This is data collection, but in reality I think it’s a constant feedback loop. We want to hear what people have to say, we want to get better, we Want to know where they hit the mark and where they didn’t. And from a management perspective, we may not have all the answers, we Is definitely not an expert in this area, so we will be vulnerable and in some cases will feel that we cannot proceed without the voice of everyone who helps us guide this. I don’t think I’m in the best position to make 100% DE & I decisions in Canada and I’m relieved to say that. I need help. I need help from the industry and staff Needs help, needs help from society. Overall needs to be better. “
Guy and Paxton are in the process of establishing an official DE & I committee for Charles Taylor of Canada to set out the company’s strategic goals. Guy, as the leader of the company, said it was important that they were the people who started these initiatives. Similarly, he said it’s important to be vulnerable, raw and candid in front of employees, as insurance leaders are involved, involved, and empowering others to do the same. ..
“Both Robert and I are passionate about DE & I. We are both in line with DE & I’s corporate goals and objectives and immediately raised our hand as follows:” I am participating I’m happy to have a conversation. I’m happy to move it forward, “Guy said. “I hope people will help me on this journey. I don’t have all the answers. I sincerely believe that I am defenseless and honest.’About DE & I I want to know more. I want more answers. I need a little more education and empowerment. And I need people to come forward and tell me what the problem is from a Canadian point of view.
“I think we should all raise our hands. If you are in a position to exercise leadership, you need to participate in DE & I conversations internally, and arguably across the industry.”
Want to know more about DE & I? Sign up for this year’s Dive-in Festival now.